About this Website
This website is owned and operated by General Insurance Group Pty Limited ABN 98 818 303 386 trading as BuildInsure, and includes all web pages under or forming part of the domain name BuildInsure.com.au.
Your use of the services, information, text, graphics, materials and other content on any part of the BuildInsure Website (“Material on this Website”) is governed by these Terms and the associated Privacy Statement. By using this website, you agree to be bound by these Terms.
BuildInsure Website Content
The BuildInsure Website:
- contains information of a general nature about us and our services;
- contains information of a general nature about various insurers featured on our website;
- enables you to purchase and pay for some insurance products and services online.
General advice and information only
Any advice and information on this Website is general only, and has been prepared without taking into account your particular circumstances and needs. Before acting on any advice on this Website, you should always assess or seek advice on whether it is appropriate for your needs or financial situation.
A Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) or other disclosure document may be available for products and services described on this website or any third party website. You should obtain and consider the PDS or other disclosure document relating to the product or service you are interested in before making any decision about whether to acquire or continue to hold the product or service.
Australian residents only
Unless specifically stated otherwise, the information on this Website is prepared for Australian residents only, and all matters relating to this Website are governed by Australian law. Applications for any insurance product will only be accepted from Australian residents.
Pricing and availability
Unless otherwise stated on our Website, all prices in Australian dollars and are valid and effective only in Australia (policies on our Website are issued to people resident in Australia). All prices and availability of goods and services may be changed at any time without notice. BuildInsure reserves the right to correct pricing errors at any time, and we are not liable for any loss or damage whatsoever from failure to deliver or delay in delivery of products/services.
Availability of website
BuildInsure will use its efforts to provide access to this website on a 24 hour basis. However, there may be an interruption to the service to facilitate the website’s maintenance or for any other reasons, and we will not be liable to any person for interruptions to the service for any reason.
Third party information
Third parties may provide certain information on this Website, and we are not responsible for its accuracy, and is not liable for any loss arising from any person relying on, either wholly or partially, on information provided by third parties.
Links to other sites and third party advertising
This Website may contain links to other websites owned and operated by third parties who are not related bodies corporate of BuildInsure (“Linked Websites”). The Linked Websites are not under our control, and we are not responsible for the content of any Linked Websites or any hyperlink contained in a Linked Website and make no representation or warranty with respect to the content of any such third party sites.
BuildInsure provides these links to you as a convenience only and the inclusion of any link does not imply any endorsement of the Linked Website by us. Your link to any such Linked Website is entirely at your own risk, and your use of a Linked Website is subject to the terms and conditions of that website in addition to these Terms.
This Website may also contain third party advertisements (that may or may not contain embedded hyperlinks or referral buttons to Linked Websites). The display of such advertising does not in any way imply an endorsement or recommendation by us of the relevant advertiser, its products or services or any such Linked Website.
You are referred to the relevant advertiser for all information regarding the advertiser and its products and/or services. To the extent permitted by law, we accept no responsibility for any interaction between you and the relevant third party, and you agree to release us from any liability arising out of or in any way connected with such.
Your usage of the BuildInsure website
You must not use this Website in any manner or for any purpose that is unlawful, or in any manner that violates any right of BuildInsure, or that is prohibited by these Terms.
In particular, it is a condition of your use of and/or access that you agree that you will not:
- use any device, software or routine which will or may interfere with the working or functioning of our Website and will not post, publish, distribute or transmit any Content of any kind which contains a virus or other harmful component;
- make any unauthorised use of any materials or intellectual property found on our Website;
- copy and use any materials, content or data found on our website for any other purpose than purchasing an insurance product;
- use any method or means to copy, reproduce, republish, frame, post, upload, distribute, transmit, sublicense, delete or modify in any way all or any part of the content or our Website, or monitor it in any way, unless expressly provided for in our website or expressly authorised in writing by BuildInsure;
- intentionally do anything which overburdens the infrastructure of our Website;
- post, publish, distribute or transmit any unlawful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane or indecent content of any kind, including without limitation any content constituting or encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any applicable law or regulations;
- post, publish, distribute or transmit, or disseminate any content of any kind which violates or infringes upon the rights of any other person, including content which is an invasion of any privacy or publicity rights or which is protected by copyright, trademark or any other proprietary right, without first obtaining permission from BuildInsure or relevant right holder;
- post, publish, distribute or transmit, or disseminate any unsolicited correspondence (including Emails) or spamming via our website;
- reverse engineer, reverse assemble, or otherwise attempt to identify the source code or other arithmetical formula for the infrastructure software or functions;
- restrict or inhibit any other user from using or enjoying our website. BuildInsure has no obligation whatsoever to monitor any user’s use of our website or to edit, delete or refuse to post any Content.
However BuildInsure reserves the right to monitor your or any users, use of our website and to edit, refuse to post or remove any Content whatsoever. BuildInsure reserves the right to cooperate fully with any law enforcement authority in any jurisdiction in respect of any lawful direction or request to disclose the identity or other information in respect of any user of our website.
BuildInsure Product Information and Insurance Purchase
You acknowledge that the transmission of your acceptance or the confirmation of any payment, made through an Electronic Instruction may not be received by BuildInsure for reasons beyond either parties’ reasonable control including, but not limited to, mechanical, software, computer, telecommunications, or electronic failure, or the omission or failure of third party service providers or systems.
We recognise that your privacy is very important to you. We are committed to protecting the privacy of your Personal Information in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
The Privacy Act details Australian Privacy Principles that set minimum standards for how government agencies and private sector organisations may collect, use, disclose, store, provide access to and correction of Personal Information.
We are committed to complying with the Australian Privacy Principles.
This policy may change from time to time and all changes will be posted on our web site so please check it periodically. Alternatively, contact us and request a copy of our most recent policy.
Personal Information we collect
The Personal Information we collect depends on the products and services we offer you or you use or apply for. Typically the details we collect and hold include your name, contact details (address, phone and fax number, email address) date of birth, gender and account payment details. We may also collect information that is specific to a particular product.
How we collect your Personal Information
We collect your personal information in various ways, including via telephone, our website, hard copy forms or email.
Whenever you deal with us we will collect this information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable for us to do so. In some instances we may collect your information from someone else. This may include our authorised representatives, our distributors or referrers, agents or related entities, another party involved in a claim, family members, anyone you have authorised to deal with us on your behalf.
If you provide Personal Information to us about another person, we rely on you to have made or make them aware that you will, or may, provide their information to us and the types of third parties we may provide it to, the relevant purposes we and any of the third parties will use it for and how they can access it. If you have not done, or will not do, so, you must tell us before you provide the relevant Personal Information.
From time to time we may request Personal Information from you through competitions or surveys. Participation in these competitions or surveys is completely voluntary and you, therefore, have the choice of whether or not you disclose the Personal Information requested.
Why we collect and How we use Personal Information
We collect Personal Information to provide or offer you the various products and services we distribute, or otherwise as permitted by law. Such purposes include responding to your enquiries, providing you with assistance you request of us, maintaining and administering our products and services (for example processing requests for quotes, applications for insurance, underwriting and pricing policies, issuing you with a policy, managing claims, processing payments); processing your survey or questionnaire responses; market research and the collection of general statistical information using common internet technologies such as cookies; providing you with marketing information regarding other products and services (of ours or a third party); quality assurance and training purposes; performing administrative operations (including accounting and risk management) and any other purpose identified at the time of collecting your information.
If you do not consent to us collecting and using all or some of the Personal Information we request, we may not be able to provide you with our products or services.
Cookies and the collection of information through our website
We may use a cookie that collects anonymous traffic data. A cookie is a message given to a web browser by a web server and which is then stored in a text file. Each time the browser requests a page from the server this message is sent back which enables the user’s computer address (IP address) to be identified.
We may use the information provided by cookies and IP addresses to analyse trends, administer the site, or for research and marketing purposes to help us better serve our clients. No information which personally identifies you will be collected through the cookies. You can set your browser to notify you before you receive a cookie so you have the chance to accept it and can set your browser to turn off cookies. No information which personally identifies you will be collected as part of these cookies.
Sharing and Disclosing your Personal Information
We never sell, rent or trade your Personal Information.
We may share your Personal Information with our Related Companies, our Brand Partners and other third parties who provide services to us or on our behalf.
We will not share your Personal Information with any unrelated party except under the following circumstances:
- as provided in any privacy notice we give you;
- where a product or service you apply for is provided or supplied by or through a third party;
- where a third party, such as a mailing house, carries out activities on our behalf;
- if disclosure is otherwise required in order to provide you with a particular product or service;
- in order to ensure our ability to continue providing products and services;
- if disclosure is required for the purposes of conducting business analysis in order to improve our products and services;
- if disclosure is required by law or requested by a statutory authority; including the Financial Ombudsman Service, other dispute resolution providers, government bodies, regulators and other law enforcement agencies;
- where a third party has an interest in the product or service we supply, for example a referral agent, distributor or insurance intermediary;
- where it is necessary for a third party to assist us in providing our services, for example, underwriters, insurance intermediaries, reinsurers, insurance reference bureaus, credit providers, external IT service providers, external claims data collectors and verifiers, lawyers, accountants, and others involved in the claims handling process;
- where you have provided your consent – which may be given expressly or may reasonably be implied by your conduct
Related and unrelated third parties to whom your Personal Information is disclosed are required to keep the information confidential and only use it for the same purposes we are permitted to use it.
Quality of your Personal Information
We aim to ensure that your Personal Information is accurate, complete and up to date.
During the course of your relationship with us we will ask you to inform us of any changes to your Personal Information. You should, however, contact us at any time to update your Personal Information or advise us that the information we have is not accurate or complete.
Security of your Personal Information
We are committed to keeping your Personal Information secure and will use all reasonable precautions to protect it from loss, misuse or interference and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, including:
- Physically securing external and internal premises;
- Maintaining computer and network security such as user identifiers and passwords to control access to computer systems;
- Restricting access to your Personal Information to employees or those who perform services on our behalf who are authorised to handle your Personal Information and on a ‘needs to know’ basis;
- Entering into confidentiality agreements with relevant employees and third parties;
- Appropriate training of staff;
- Retaining your Personal Information for no longer than it is reasonably required to service a policy or continue to provide any products and services to you, unless we are required by law to retain it for longer;
- Taking reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify Personal Information that we no longer require or which was unsolicited and we identify that we would not have otherwise collected it from you.
Access to and Correction of your Personal Information
You may generally access the information we hold about you and request corrections. This right is subject to the exceptions detailed in the Australian Privacy Principles. For example, we may refuse access where the:
- information may have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others;
- request is frivolous or vexatious;
- information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings and would not be accessible by the process of discovery in those proceedings;
- information would reveal our intentions in relation to negotiations in such a way as to prejudice those negotiations.
If we refuse access or to give access in the manner requested by you we will let you know why in writing.
Where providing access would reveal evaluative information in connection with a commercially sensitive decision-making process, we will provide an explanation for the decision rather than direct access to the information.
For access to complex information or more detailed requests for access to your Personal Information, for example, access to information that is archived, we may require you to place your request in writing and charge you a fee for our reasonable costs of retrieving and supplying the information to you.
In all cases you will be asked to verify who you are before your Personal Information is provided.
All requests for Personal Information will be handled in a reasonable period of time.
How to contact us
If you are not satisfied with our response to your enquiry or complaint you can contact us and request that it be reviewed by a senior staff member who will endeavour to resolve your dispute within 30 days. If you are still not satisfied we will tell you about any options you have to refer the matter to a recognised external dispute resolution.
You can obtain information on privacy issues in Australia by visiting the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (“OAIC”) located at www.oaic.gov.au or by contacting the OAIC by email at [email protected] or by calling on 1300 363 992.